Saturday, February 19, 2011

Bird 1 Bird 2

Bird 1 - Yellow Throated Vireo


Bird 2 - Merlin Falcon
While Gary and I were eating breakfast this morning, we heard thump, THUMP!  We look at the sliding door and see the falcon flopping.  Then we noticed the vireo close to the falcon.  So bird 1 was breakfast for bird 2! Well bird 1 didn't make it but Gary went out and picked bird 2, it was quite dazed he whacked his head and hurt his left eye.  Gary stroked him to calm him down and let him rest.  He put the merlin on the "healing post" (this were we have put other birds who hit the window - to rest and then they can take off).  I went to get my bird book and find out what kind of bird he was - then I went over to the door to get a better look for the markings.  He started to get up but kind of fell off the post but he caught his balance and went to the bottom step.  I went out to check on it and was able to pick it up and helped calm it down.  I was going to walk over to the trailer that has a bale of hay on it to place the bird on it.  The merlin started to struggle, I opened my hand and it flew away.  It's eye was still adjusting but I think it should be okay.  His claw poked a hole in my index finger, but it was so beautiful and soft.  It was nice to see it up close and see the wonders of nature.

No comments:

Drive down Memory Lane

 Over the weekend Gary and I drove down to St George to hear my former boss, Dave and Judy Parrish, speak at their Mission Farewell.  They w...