Yesterday Gary took the car and went up to Provo in the afternoon. So I took the truck to work. Gary asked if I would stop by the mechanic's and see when he could replace the two back tires with the ones Gary dropped off earlier in the week. Last week Gary took off the mud and snow tires off the truck and he put on a couple of tires that were not the best but would do until the better tires were put on the rims and rotate the tires. Joe was busy and so I set up an appointment for first thing Friday morning - I would take the truck in and Joe would do the tires and then I would be off to work. I got about a mile from Joe's and I felt something strange and noticed something off to the left side moving. It was my tire! The back left tire - rim and tire - were rolling along side me and what I felt was the truck dropping on to the brake drum and axle. I was able to pull the truck over to the side - called Gary is Provo, retrieved the tire and while talking to Gary, neighbors Rocky with his wife and daughter-in-law pulled up and asked if they could help. Rocky talked to Gary and told him that he would take me home - which they did. I talked to Gary later and he mentioned that Joe was going to try and get to the truck and maybe get the tire on (the one that was already on a rim waiting to be put on the truck on Friday). I had to go to the scout camp to deliver some dog food that I bought for them and saw Dave Merrill and mentioned to him what happened. He asked where the key was - I had it - and he said after dinner he would go down and look at the truck. When we got down there - Joe had the tire on with 2 of the 5 nuts on. Dave drove the truck over to Joe's to look at and see what damages had happened. Lynda (Dave's wife) and I followed Dave over to Joe's and then Dave was able to pick up another scout truck that was done and we then went home.
We can only figure that the nuts weren't put on tight enough and worked their way off during my drive to Ephraim and back - about 40 miles. I am very thankful that it didn't happen while I was going 60 mph on the main road but only going 25 mph and on the back road to the cabin. I am very grateful for great neighbors and friends to helped. Gary didn't get back home that night until 11:30 and he didn't have to try to figure out how to take care of the truck when he got home.
It is really nice to live in a small community where everyone looks out for each other!
No comments:
Post a Comment